BERA is funded by an Alliance Grant from the Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council of Canada. Our program is administered by the University of Calgary, and jointly housed at the University of Calgary, University of Waterloo, and University of Alberta.
We have assembled a multi-sectoral partnership with organizations in the private sector (Alberta-Pacific Forest Industries Inc., Canadian Natural Resources Ltd., Cenovus Energy, ConocoPhillips Canada Resources Corp., and Imperial Oil Resources Ltd.), public sector (Canadian Forest Service’s Northern Forestry Centre), and not-for-profit sector (Alberta Biodiversity Monitoring Institute).
Our partners’ role in BERA includes:
- Defining the desired management priorities that underpin our research questions
- Contributing diverse and expert participation and feedback to research teams
- Facilitating access to data sets and research sites
- Providing relevant mandates and resources to translate research results into practice
- Accessing powerful knowledge-extension networks and programs to communicate project outcomes to other stakeholders
- Affording relevant opportunities for employment of BERA trainees